Posted on May 18 2012
It is believed that linen helps us sleep.
Sleep comes easily, is deeper and more restful especially in a humid environment. Linen is also thought to reduce stress, bringing relaxation along with physical and psychic well-being. Linen as a fabric is noble, elegant, and distinctive in its sophistication and luxury. Brahms Mount is the only linen blanket manufacturer in North America.
Linen is a textile made from the fibers of the flax plant. It is:
- A replaceable resource that has little impact on water quality compared to other fibers
- Besides its fiber, the flax plant is used for its seeds, high in nutritional value, and oil (Linseed oil)
- The hollow fiber is a natural insulator, valued for its ability to keep cool in the summer months and trap warmth in colder weather
- Linen is also valued for its ability to repel microorganisms
- Linen is long lasting becoming softer and more beautiful with use and does not lose its shape
- Towels and bath sheets made of linen are incredibly absorbent and quick drying!
- They can gain up to 20% moisture without feeling damp and are strong when wet
Textiles made of linen appear to be some of the oldest in the world, dating back thousands of years. Egyptians sometimes used linen as currency. It symbolized light and purity, as well as a display of wealth. Use of the flax plant is believed to date back to approximately 8,000 BC.